The report’s framework and content is shaped by three factors:
- Alumina Limited’s role as a 40 per cent participant in the AWAC joint venture and the role we take in ensuring long-term value from the enterprise for shareholders.
- The nature of AWAC’s operations, which largely focusses on bauxite and alumina segments of the aluminium industry.
- The interests and requirements of our stakeholders.
Consequently this concise and focussed report supports rather than duplicates that of Alcoa, (Alcoa Sustainability Report), which is a detailed and far ranging discussion into their fully integrated aluminium operations.
Using this framework, Alumina’s executive management undertook an internal assessment of issues that were considered of significance to Alumina Limited and our stakeholders. Alumina Limited also recognised the assessment of substantive materiality conducted by Alcoa as manager/operator of the AWAC operations. These included:
- Energy usage, efficiency and security
- Water management and security
- Land management and rehabilitation
- Safety and health of AWAC's workforce
- Relationships with neighbouring local communities
This sustainability update provides a basis for future discussions with stakeholders on issues of greatest interest and concern. This feedback will help refine future content and reporting approaches.
|Material Aspect||Internal Boundary||External Boundary|
|Energy||All AWAC global operations, particularly AWAC's alumina refineries and smelter||None|
|Water management||Especially AWAC's alumina refineries||Government agencies, communities surrounding our operating locations and NGOs|
|Emissions||All global operations, particularly AWAC's refineries and aluminum smelter||Government agencies, communities surrounding our operating locations and NGOs|
|Land management||All global operations, particularly AWAC's bauxite mining locations and bauxite residue storage areas||Government agencies, communities surrounding our operating locations, and NGOs|
|Safety and Health||All AWAC global operations||Government agencies focused on health and safety in each country in which AWAC operate|
|Local Communities||All AWAC global operations||Communities surrounding our operating locations and NGOs|
|Economic||All AWAC global operations||Shareholders, lenders, and financial analysts globally|