Alumina Limited is a leading Australian resource company with a specific focus on alumina, the feedstock for aluminium smelting.
We own 40% of the world’s largest alumina business, Alcoa World Alumina and Chemicals (AWAC) the recognised industry leader. Our partner in AWAC is Alcoa, who owns the remaining 60% and manages the day-to-day operations. Alcoa is also the world’s largest alumina producer.
This partnership provides investors with a direct investment in the alumina industry.
Alumina Limited is one of Australia’s top 100 companies, delivering strong returns, consistent performance and ongoing growth.
AWAC employs over 7,000 people to mine and refine bauxite, who produce alumina, market the alumina to the world’s aluminium smelters and process a percentage of this alumina to produce aluminium metal.
AWAC has a global network of mines, refineries in Australia, the United States, Guinea, Suriname, Brazil and Spain and also an interest in a smelter in Victoria Australia.
It is a low-cost producer and many of its operations are positioned in the lower-cost quartiles.
Alumina Limited was created on 11 December 2002 when WMC Limited’s alumina assets were demerged from the nickel, copper and fertilizer businesses (WMC Resources Limited).
The demerger has enabled investors to benefit directly from the full value of the alumina and aluminium business.
Purpose and objectives
Alumina Limited has a small and focused management team. Their purpose is to deliver value to shareholders through:
- strategic participation in the AWAC business with Alcoa
- maintaining AWAC’s position as market leader
- paying substantial dividends to shareholders (with 100% of fully franked dividends received from Alcoa of Australia to be distributed as far as practicable)
- growing AWAC through planned and sustainable expansion
- ensuring the value of the AWAC business is understood by the market and reflected in our share price.
Facts and figures
- Owns 40% of AWAC’s assets in Australia (known as Alcoa of Australia).
- Owns 40% of the remaining AWAC assets around the globe.
- Trades on Australian Securities Exchange and the OTC Market in the United States.
- Top 100 Australian company (market capitalisation).
- Has about 60,000 shareholders.
- World’s largest alumina producer, consistent with 15% of annual (2013) global production.
- Annual alumina production capacity (2014) = 17.2 million tonnes.
- Alumina production (2014) = 15.9 million tonnes.
- Aluminium capacity (2014) = 388,000 tonnes.
- Annual aluminium production in 2014 = 269,000 tonnes.
- Employed in 2014 approximately 7,000 people.
- Operates 8 alumina refineries and 1 aluminium smelters.
- Owns or has an interest in 7 bauxite mining operations.
- AWAC has a 25.1% economic interest in a mine and refinery in Saudi Arabia.
- Owns and runs a shipping operation that transports alumina, aluminium and raw materials around the world.